Instructions & Qualification Requirements for Asbestos Certification
The asbestos training and certification process requires initial training and accreditation
and yearly refresher training for re-registration. The general steps for accreditation in Alabama
are as follows:
- Register and pass your training class from an Alabama-approved training provider.
- Register as an individual with our offices. Accreditation Application.
- Confirm that the company is registered with the Alabama Department of Environmental
Contact: Don Barron, ADEM
(334) 271-7879 Asbestosmail@adem.state.al.us.
All applicants must be at least 19 years of age.
Some disciplines have additional qualifications that must be met in addition to the
steps listed above:
- No Additional Qualifications
Asbestos Management Planner
- Be registered (or concurrently register) as a Safe State Asbestos Inspector
- Have one of the following combinations of education and experience:
- Hold professional certification as an industrial hygienist, professional engineer,
registered architect, or a certification in a related engineering or health or environmental
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited College or University, and one year of work
experience in a related field (e.g., lead, asbestos, environmental remediation, construction);
- An associate degree and two years of experience in a related field (e.g., lead, asbestos,
environmental remediation, construction); or
- A high school diploma (or equivalent), and at least three years of experience in a
related field (e.g., lead, asbestos, environmental remediation, construction)
Asbestos Project Designer
- Have one of the following combinations of education and/or experience:
- A bachelor’s degree in engineering, architecture, or a related profession from an
accredited College or University (CCSACS or equivalent), and at least one year of
experience in building construction design, or a related field; or
- At least four years of work experience in building construction design, or a related
- Have one of the following combinations of experience:
- One year of experience as an accredited or certified asbestos worker; or
- At least two years of work experience in a related field (e.g., lead, asbestos, environmental
remediation, construction or building trades)
- No Additional Qualifications
Notes/ Additional Instructions: Even if the applicant has been approved for their discipline in another state or
through the EPA, individuals applying to Alabama for the first time will need to have
their most recent training from one of the approved training providers listed in step
1. This can be the initial training (or a refresher course if the initial had been
If the applicant has not previously registered with Alabama they will need to submit
electronic copies or originals of the initial training and all subsequent refresher
training to bring the applicant up to date in our system.
Safe State reserves the right to require physical submittal of original training certificates,
letters from the training provider confirming course completion, or other supporting
documentation as needed to complete the review process.