The principle objective of HAZMAT Prep and Response is to protect human health and the environment from dangers related to releases of hazardous materials due to mishandling, improper storage, poor identification, or unforeseen circumstances. This class will cover the first responder awareness level and first responder operations level for preparing and responding to a HazMat accident. Topics will include a basic introduction to regulations regarding HazMat; common terms associated with HazMat, how to identify HazMat using placards, labels, and other documentation; how to use a site safety plan; and how to use an emergency response guidebook to respond to an accident.
This class will also serve as an 8-hour refresher for the 40-hour HAZWOPER course. Also, this class will count as 0.8 CEUs.
10% discount if registering more than 3 people
The course will take place on November 9, 2022 from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Held at Martha Parham West Building on the University of Alabama Campus in the Kennedy Room.
624 Paul Bryant Drive
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487
Lunch will be provided at no cost.
Module 1: What is HAZMAT Prep and Response and why is it important?
- Understand what is classified as a HAZMAT
- Define basic terms and acronyms
- Differentiate between the basic types of HAZMAT
- Understand why HAZMAT training is important
- Identify who regulates HAZMAT and HAZMAT related training
- Identify examples of the most common violations related to HAZMAT
Module 2: HAZMAT Regulations
- Identify the different bodies that regulate HAZMAT
- Identify HAZCOM regulations
- Understand First Responder Awareness and Operations
- Understand DOT Regulations
- Differentiate between types of PPE and Respiratory Protection
Module 3: Communicating during Transport and Storage
- Learn the different ways to properly identify a HAZMAT
- Differentiate between the 9 DOT Hazard Classes
- Understand DOT requirements for shipping papers
- Identify the Global Harmonization Standard Labels
- Understand how an SDS is used for Hazard Identification
- Familiarize the other HAZMAT Labeling Systems
Module 4: Response Actions using ERG
- Understand the parts of the ERG
- Practice using the guidebook and Wiser to find specific information
- Identify appropriate response measure
- Identify your role in an emergency
- Understand how a Site Safety Plan is developed and used
- Learn the importance of properly decontaminating after hazard response
Module 5: Recap
Contact Us: SafeStateEP@ua.edu
For the following organizations, technical contact hours may be eligible for re-certification points: