Asbestos Hazard Emergency Reduction Act (AHERA)
In collaboration with the Alabama Department of Public Health, UA SafeState is responsible for AHERA compliance monitoring at schools in Alabama.
Mission: To assist Local Education Agencies (LEAs) with technical resources, compliance assistance, and training to help manage asbestos in Alabama schools.
Achieving AHERA Compliance Begins with the LEA Asbestos Management Plan
- Is the LEA’s Asbestos Management Plan current?
- Has your school designated a person to ensure the requirements of AHERA are properly implemented?
- Does the Asbestos Management Plan include 6-month periodic surveillance documents?
- Has your school conducted the 3-year asbestos re-evaluation inspection?
- Does the Asbestos Management Plan include a record of asbestos awareness training for all of the maintenance and janitorial staff?
The University of Alabama is committed to making its web resources accessible to all users, and welcomes comments or suggestions on access improvements. The PDF documents listed below are from sites external to the University of Alabama. Please report access issues, comments, or suggestions on accessibility to email@example.com or 205-348-1911.
- AHERA Asbestos Management Plan: Self Audit Checklist for Designated Persons (PDF, 321KB)
- Federal Requirements for Asbestos Management in Schools (PDF, 310KB)
- ABCs of Asbestos in Schools (PDF, 854KB)
- Model AHERA Asbestos Management Plan for Local Education Agencies (PDF, 292KB)
- How to Manage Asbestos in School Buildings: The AHERA Designated Person’s Self Study Guide (PDF, 633KB)
- EPA Asbestos Home
- EPA Asbestos in Schools
Michael Rasbury, Associate Director