Alabama Asbestos Contractor Accreditation Program
Accreditation is required by the Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM) to perform asbestos related activities within the state. State and federal laws require accreditation in all other related disciplines.
The general steps for accreditation in Alabama are as follows:
Step 1 – Complete Training. Ensure all applicants have successfully completed their most recent training from one of Alabama’s approved trainers. See list of approved training providers using the lists below.
Step 2 – Apply for individual asbestos certification.
- Ensure you meet the Asbestos Certification Qualification Requirements
- Apply online (“Online Application” crimson button at top left of this page) or Request a copy of .pdf application (English and Spanish applications available) from Program Specialist, Rhonda Hester (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Submit or upload all required documents with application
Step 3 – Submit payment. Once application is submitted, the applicant can mail a check/money order, or UA SafeState will contact the applicant for payment.
- Application Process time – When submitted and all required documents received, application review and processing may take up to 30 days.
- Once processed, the applicant will receive credentials via email and be issued a UA SafeState ID card and certificate via mail.
Step 4 – Firm Certification. (Asbestos Supervisors/Worker Only) Certify your Asbestos Abatement firm with the Alabama Department of Environmental Management. Apply for the Asbestos Firm Certification here
The asbestos training and certification process requires initial training and accreditation and yearly refresher training for re-registration.
|Inspector/ Management Planner Combined||$240|
|Worker (English or Spanish)||$50|
APPROVED ASBESTOS TRAINING PROVIDERS
- INSPECTOR INITIAL
- INSPECTOR REFRESHER
- SUPERVISOR INITIAL
- SUPERVISOR REFRESHER
- WORKER INITIAL
- WORKER INITIAL (SPANISH)
- WORKER REFRESHER
- WORKER REFRESHER (SPANISH)
- MANAGEMENT PLANNER INITIAL
- MANAGEMENT PLANNER REFRESHER
- PROJECT DESIGNER INITIAL
- PROJECT DESIGNER REFRESHER
Training course accreditation is also required for training programs that train workers, supervisors, inspectors, management planners, and project designers. Training providers seeking to offer courses for approval in Alabama should contact Ashley Chambers (email@example.com) for instructions on the application process and approval schedule.
FAQs & ANSWERS:
Even if the applicant has been approved for their discipline in another state or through the EPA, individuals applying to Alabama for the first time will need to have their most recent training from one of the approved training providers listed in step 1. This can be the initial training (or a refresher course if the initial had been taken previously).
If the applicant has not previously registered with Alabama, they will need to submit copies of the initial training certificates and all subsequent refresher training to bring the applicant up to date in our system.
UA Safe State reserves the right to require the applicant to submit original training certificates, letters from the training provider confirming course completion, or other supporting documentation as needed to complete the review process.
Rhonda Hester, Environmental Program Specialist
(205) 348-4829 or (800) 421-7141 firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact for questions regarding training course accreditation:
Ashley Chambers, Manager of Environmental Services
(205) 348-9761 or (800) 421-7141 email@example.com
Contact for questions regarding certification of asbestos abatement contracting firms with the Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM):
Don Barron, (334) 271-7879 Melanie Nabors, (334) 271-7897 or email firstname.lastname@example.org